Local Business Tax
Starting a Business in St. Lucie County
St. Lucie County Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance Number 07-016 requires that all businesses or professions located in St. Lucie County obtain a County Business Tax Receipt.
For your convenience, we have provided the Business Tax Receipt Checklist (PDF) for you to follow, along with the following tips:
- All businesses operating within city limits, by law, must obtain City and County Business Tax Receipts in order to operate legally. Unless you obtain both Receipts you will be considered in violation of the Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance.
- If you are working from your home, you must still meet applicable state and local requirements before obtaining a county business tax receipt.
- If your business is located in the unincorporated area of the County, a city Business Tax Receipt is not required, however, you will need a Zoning Compliance Approval (PDF) and any additional state required licenses as necessary. A new business checklist and new business flowchart (PDF) is also available for your assistance.
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations are exempt from Business Tax Receipts.
- Click here for information on availalble business tax exemptions (PDF).
- Florida supports veterans who pursue a professional or business license by reducing the related costs. Click here for more information on the licensing fee waiver program for Florida veterans.
Additional Licensing Information
For more information on licensing: