Local Business Tax
Starting a Business in St. Lucie County
St. Lucie County Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance Number 07-016 requires that all businesses or professions located in St. Lucie County obtain a County Business Tax Receipt.
Before applying for your Business Tax Receipt, we have provided the Business Tax Receipt Checklist (PDF) to assist you with the proper documentation required, along with the following tips:
- All businesses operating within city limits, by law, must obtain City and County Business Tax Receipts in order to operate legally. Unless you obtain both Receipts you will be considered in violation of the Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance.
- If you are working from your home, you must still meet applicable state and local requirements before obtaining a county business tax receipt.
- If your business is located in the unincorporated area of the County, a city Business Tax Receipt is not required. However, you will need a Zoning Compliance Approval.
- There are 3 entities that are exempt from Business Tax Receipts under Florida Statute:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations (205.192)
- Religious tenets (205.191)
- All farm, grove, horticultural, floricultural, tropical piscicultural and tropical fish farm products and products manufactured therefrom (205.064)
- Click here for information on available business tax exemptions (PDF).
- Florida supports veterans who pursue a professional or business license by reducing the related costs. Click here for more information on the licensing fee waiver program for Florida veterans.
Additional Licensing Information
For more information on licensing: