Local Business Tax
Starting a Business in St. Lucie County
St. Lucie County Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance Number 07-016 requires that all businesses or professions located in St. Lucie County obtain a County Business Tax Receipt.
To obtain your county Local Business Tax Receipt, you MUST complete the following steps:
1. If you are using a name other than your legal first and last name only, you must register with the Florida Division of Corporations.
2. Determine what jurisdiction your business will be in, whether it is the city limits of Port St. Lucie, city limits of Fort Pierce, within St. Lucie Village or in the unincorporated area of St. Lucie County. (Click here to determine the jurisdiction for your business).
If your business is located in a municipality/city limit, you must obtain your Business Tax Receipt from that municipality in addition to St. Lucie County. All businesses operating within city limits, by law, must obtain City and County Business Tax Receipts in order to operate legally. Unless you obtain both Receipts you will be considered in violation of the Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance.
- City of Port St. Lucie Business Tax - 772-344-4356
- City of Fort Pierce Business Tax - 772-467-3065
- St. Lucie Village Business Tax - 772-466-6900
3. If your business is located in the unincorporated area of St. Lucie County, STOP: Before applying for your St. Lucie County Business Tax Receipt with our office, you must begin the process with St. Lucie County by visiting the St. Lucie County Zoning department.
4. Also if your business is located in the unincorporated area of St. Lucie County and in a commercial location, you will also need to complete a Hazardous Waste Screening Form with the Florida Department of Health located at 3855 S US Highway 1, Ste. A, Fort Pierce, FL 34982 or call 772-873-4931.
5. If your occupation/business is regulated by the state, you must obtain your state license before proceeding with the Business Tax Application.
Once you have completed all the steps above, click here to apply for your NEW Business Tax Receipt
There are several entities that are exempt from Business Tax Receipts under Florida Statute:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations (205.192)
- Religious tenets (205.191)
- All farm, grove, horticultural, floricultural, tropical piscicultural and tropical fish farm products and products manufactured therefrom (205.064)
- Click here for information on available business tax exemptions (PDF).
- Florida supports veterans who pursue a professional or business license by reducing the related costs. Click here for more information on the licensing fee waiver program for Florida veterans.
Search and/or Renew Your Business Tax Receipt
Click here to search and/or renew your existing Business Tax Receipt. If renewing, locate your account using the search bar, the amount due to renew will appear as "amount due" and can be added to your cart, then proceed with completing your transaction.